Friday, April 29, 2005

Neurotic Iraqi Wife ~ Not So Neurotic After All

Blogging from a secret location somewhere in the Middle East, the Neurotic Iraqi Wife reveals her thoughts, views, and desires through her appropriately named blog: Neurotic Iraqi Wife, while awaiting the return of her beloved Hubby busy reconstructing Iraq. And she really doesn't seem that neurotic. . .

The In T View: Neurotic Iraqi Wife ~ Not So Neurotic After All

MG: Neurotic Iraqi Wife How is life these days for you and your Hubby?

NIW: Hey there MG, well, what can I say, right now this minute, my life is really "like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get". Having come back recently from our vacation, its back to the norm of whining and complaining while dear HUBBY is "rebuilding" Iraq...

MG: For a long while, writing in your blog, you seemed very pessimistic about Iraq's future. You seem more optimistic these days, what has happened to change your feelings?

NIW: Yeah that is true, I was pessimistic to a certain extent, but after that historical day the 31st of January, and after seeing the outcome of the 8million Iraqi heroes voting in Iraq, I came to realise that after all there is light under the tunnel even though its kinda dim at the moment, but its there and that’s what’s important.

MG: How happy were you to be able to finally participate in an Iraqi election?

NIW: Wow, I really couldn’t believe that the day will come. It was almost like a dream. For me it was actually the day I registered (outside Iraq the registration and voting process were 2 different occasions) that made my eyes water, I dunno why, but walking through the doors for the first time gave it some unique flavour. As for the voting process itself, that was surreal by itself. I still have the stain of ink on my finger (the mark of my freedom).

MG: Was it a bit worrisome that most Iraqi voters seemed to vote along religious or ethnic lines?

NIW: I have to admit that there wasn’t really much choice. The outcome was pretty predictable and the mere fact that Iraqis voted is by itself a sign of the new found democracy no matter whom they voted for. At the end of the day what matters is that they voted for who they wanted.

MG: You know, you don't seem so Neurotic at all, should readers of your Blog ask for a refund?

NIW: Lol, you haven’t seen anything yet. Believe me when I do lose my temper (and I wander why its always with poor HUBBY) I not only become neurotic but lets say I need to be restrained, I think enough said, hehe. . .

MG: And speaking of blogging, how did you get interested in it and how did Neurotic Iraqi Wife come about?

NIW: Well I have always been reading the Iraqi blogs for sometime, and infact Ill let you on a secret, Neurotic Iraqi Wife wasn’t my first blog. I had started one a few months after the war on Iraq and it was mainly about my childhood memories in Iraq. It was a feeble attempt of blogging and I lost interest pretty soon after that since I only had a few memories. Neurotic Iraqi Wife came about just after HUBBY’s first R&R. I became so depressed and thought I was losing it and the only way of releasing my emotions was to start blogging. I was desperate in finding a solution of getting him to change his mind and return to me, hence I needed outside help, I thought maybe, just maybe someone out there is cunning enough and will guide me through, but that didn’t happen. I guess the blog has worked wanders for me and made me realise that I’m not alone in this situation….

MG: And will we ever see your Hubby having his own Blog? Would he call it Neurotic Iraqi Husband? Reconstructing Iraqi Husband? My Cell Phone Is A Natural Extension of Myself Iraqi Husband? Please Honey, I Love You, But Stop Calling Me Iraqi Husband?

NIW: Its like asking will the rooster ever lay eggs…….HUBBY aint into blogging, its sad but true.

MG: Your husband and you are separated by countries and hundreds of miles, how difficult is it to maintain a long distance relationship?

NIW: Hmm, I never ever thought that I would be in this situation, but the key to keeping a healthy relationship be it distant or otherwise is COMMUNICATION. I’m the type of person that would like to know EVERYTHING that’s happening with HUBBY. What does he eat, who does he hang around with; how his work is etc…It’s like trying to “live” these moments with him, if you know what I mean. I also believe that you either have it in you to maintain a distance relationship or you don’t.

MG: Let's talk about your trips. Your Hubby and you seem to really love to travel to exotic and interesting places - What was the strangest place you visited or the strangest thing you've witnessed during one of these travels?

NIW: I have to admit that it was in Thailand that I was most startled. The first thing was in Bangkok when we strolled around Patpong road (kind of the red light district of Bangkok). We entered into one of those so called go-go bars and there they were young boys, maybe around the ages of 15 and above being fondled by older western men. It was a very disturbing sight for me. Hadn’t it been for HUBBY dragging me out of that place I probably would have gone up to some of these men and told them “shame on you, you are disgusting paedophiles” But I guess HUBBY saw what was coming and saved his face from being punched…The second thing was infact in Phuket where we were yet again strolling through its notorious streets and there it was an area filled with beautiful women who turned out to be in reality MEN!!! I never ever saw such beauties in my life before. . .

MG: In your latest travel adventure, you tried some of that "Evil Devil Weed" in Amsterdam for the first time in your life, What was that experience like for you?

NIW: Oh God, I don’t wanna ever do THAT again. It was awful. It was like seeing myself losing it and not being able to control myself, not that I’m capable of controlling myself most of the time, but I got the laughing fits while at the same time thinking “damn I cant stop” then I start to cry thinking”OMG what have I done to myself” Its that Not in control feeling that really got to me. Awful awful experience, I dunno how people just smoke that stuff as part of their daily lives. . .

MG: On a sad note, you visited Phuket before it was hit by the devastating tsunami - When you saw those images, what thoughts came to your mind? Were you like, for the grace of God, Hubby and I could have been there?

NIW: It was only 3 weeks after we came back from Thailand that the tragic tsunami happened, all I could think of was shit is the driver of the tuk tuk ok? You see, we got to meet a really nice fellow by the name of Abdulsalam; he was ever so friendly and helpful. I would look closer at the TV monitor and scan the crowds praying to God that Abdulsalam survived. It really was an awful tragedy, made me for quite some time question many things around me. May God be with all those that lost their loved ones. . .

MG: On to happier stuff, Do you really want to have a Baby, and any preference, boy or a girl?

NIW: At first I was stressing myself about having a baby, but now not as much. I really don’t want to go through pregnancy without having HUBBY around. Oh and definitely I want girls, girls and more girls, a football team of girls, yeah that’s what the world needs... I think girls can be the cheekiest and the cutest of the 2, and I’ll make sure they know exactly where to kick the balls, Lol.

MG: Let's talk a little bit about Iraqi food. Do you have a favorite Iraqi food or dish that gets your taste buds salivating?

NIW: Actually yeah, yummy, just thinking about it now makes me salivate. There are 2 dishes that I absolutely love one is called “Qeema” and it’s basically similar to the Bolognese sauce except it’s even yummier and eaten with rice. The other is a dish called “Fasanjoon” and it’s more common with the people from the South of Iraq. It’s a chicken dish made with crushed walnut and pomegranate sauce (yummmmy) Kind of like a sweet and sour dish and that too is accompanied with rice. Here’s a site I found that has some interesting Iraqi dishes recipes: http://www.shakomako.net/foodistic.html

MG: I love sweets myself. Is there an Iraqi dessert that would knock my socks off?

NIW: Well I’m not sure about knocking your socks off, Lol, I myself am not really into sweets, I tend to go for chocolates more, but there’s one Iraqi sweet that I wont say no to and its called ”halawat haleeb” Its also a dish from the south, mainly Najaf. “Halawat Haleeb” literally translates into milk sweet but infact it’s like a thick brown paste made from sugar, saffron cinnamon, flour and milk.

MG: Okay, let's say Hubby and you are enjoying a romantic moment on an isolated beach in Tahiti, when suddenly three Klingon Warriors from the Star Trek universe teleport in beside you and threaten not to leave, unless you answer the following question: "What is the most unique thing about Iraq to you?" So, what is the most unique thing about Iraq to you?

NIW: Oh NOOOOOOOOOO, not Star trek again, Geez….LOL. Well instead of saying what’s unique about Iraq, cuz Iraq is unique by itself, with its history and its culture and its people. I’m gonna say what Iraq represents for me. Iraq for me represents many things. It represents that yearning that a small child has to find its lost mother. I don’t know how to describe it, it’s a passion with all Iraqis especially those that were forced to leave it 30 years ago. Iraq represents those innocent childhood memories, Iraq represents all those good people that came into my life and left a huge impact then had to leave the world. Iraq represents that final place on my itinerary of life. That’s where I wanna be, where I wanna live, and that’s where I wanna die….Iraq is my country, my beloved country. . .

MG: Thanks Very Much, NIW, and final question: Have you ever seen a ghost?

NIW: Thanx MG for giving me this opportunity and I also thank Iraqi Bloggers Central. And an Answer to your question, Yeah, have you???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home